Adobe Business Catalyst is shutting down in September 2021 and some businesses don’t have much time to find alternatives for their websites.
Adobe kicked us out their web house
Over 70,000 Business Catalyst and 500,000 Adobe Muse websites possibly have to find a new home without a direct replacement; link to Business Catalyst press release.
This is going to cost you.
My clients paid Adobe Business Catalyst directly to host their website.
Yes I recommended Adobe Business Catalyst to all my website customers.
But Adobe broke all our trust.
Many other Adobe partners like myself were in shock.
How could a company drop a profitable business?
Well, put this in perspective, a company that made a $2 billion profit last quarter dropped a $30 million business.
People on Adobe forums are already threatening action; futile in my opinion.
People are asking why Business Catalyst could not be sold to an interested 3rd party.
My understanding is that others did try to purchase it but the Business Catalyst arm is impossible to disconnect from the main Adobe body.
And yes it will and has cost me money.
I have already migrated my own website to WordPress.
If you used BC, follow me here on Twitter
Website Audit and Review
Whilst this news will come as a shock to many or perhaps an inconvenience, it can also prove to be an opportunity.
I designed very few websites in the previous 16 months since I have evolved to SEO and content marketing services.
With one client exception, I can tell you the web world is a lot different from 24 months ago.
You can continue with your website as it is, the status quo, or you can use this as an opportunity to grow.
SWOT Analysis – get your business from A to B
During my 25 years in marketing, I have done many a SWOT analysis.
You look for the strengths and weaknesses inside your business and with your products and services.
Then you look at external opportunities and threats impacting you.
Or you can discover :
- What people are searching for.
- Is there demand I am are missing out on?
- What are my competitors doing?
- Where do my competitors rank and get traffic from ?
- What can I create to improve rankings, visibility, web traffic?
- How can I convert and generate more enquiries from your website?
- Follow up on these enquiries and turn them into clients or customers.
- Drive more website traffic.
- Convert more sales.
- Increase my average order value per sale.
- Increase my repeat sales.
- Sell other products or services to my existing customers.
3 types of Adobe Business Catalyst websites
For the sake of simplicity there are 3 types of websites.
- Less complex websites (Lead generation websites).
- E-commerce websites.
- Custom websites.
Lead generation websites
This is a website with pages of information and contact forms where people get in touch with your business.
I can export the current website and use 2 other solutions for your new website.
The migration cost will be fairly low.
But will have to absorb new recurring costs:
- Monthly hosting costs.
- Hosting maintenance contract.
- Email marketing provider.
- Email accounts to send and receive emails.
- Annual purchase of SSL certificate.
Adobe Business Catalyst versus WordPress
Whilst there are plenty of alternatives, I shall recommend moving lead generation or less complex websites to WordPress.
Adobe Business Catalyst alternative features in WordPress
Here are the features available.
The next type of websites are those that sell products online.
I have 2 options for migration and re-development.
I migrate the website to a comparable solution that is being developed for an ex-Business Catalyst partner.
Or, alternatively I move your website to Shopify.
I have worked with Shopify and there are some amazing benefits open to you that were out of scope with Business Catalyst.
- Sell on Facebook.
- Sell with Instagram clickable images.
- Better related product merchandising.
- Better basket and checkout process (so you convert more orders).
- Abandoned orders process.
- Refund orders directly inside admin area.
- Take card payments over the phone and add order into admin area.
- Add Facebook Messenger to website and handle customer enquiries.
- Use the Free Shopify App called Kit to help you run adverts, promotions, email campaigns, post social communication – seriously mind blowing app.
- A mobile app for your phone to manage elements of your shop.
- Brilliant integration with Google Shopping Advertising – so people can see and click on your products in the search results.
- Thousands of apps to do better marketing.
Adobe Business Catalyst versus Shopify
Adobe Business Catalyst alternative features in Shopify.
Custom built websites
The last category of websites we built were custom built websites.
We built some bespoke business solutions such as job vacancy systems, payment systems, travel portals and digital payment systems.
These types of websites will be more complex to migrate.
I need to explore in more depth the migration impact, costs and issues.
Bear in mind we still have a few months before Adobe shut down Business Catalyst.
Migrating custom built Business Catalyst website
A popular choice to migrate custom websites away from BC is SiteGlide.
They have embraced web app functionality and very similar tools to BC in their platform and seem like a good choice.
I shall update this section of the page in due course as I discover and learn more.
What will this cost me ?
This will cost you one way or the other.
View this an opportunity to increase traffic, enquiries and sales or to re-invent your online business.
What Next ?
You better get your skates on because BC is shutting down.
If you want to discuss migrations I can recommend partners to help you transition.
What if I don’t want you to migrate or re-develop my website with you ?
I can export all your web pages and customer data and hand that information over to you at any time between now and September 2021.
You can either take that information and give it to another web professional or you can continue with me.