Ubersuggest is a really useful SEO tool that can help to improve your organic traffic.
In this guide you’ll learn 9 ways to use the tool (number 8 is great) or compare Ubersuggest and Ahrefs, click here.
Table of Contents
- Check your traffic or a competitor
- Analyse top pages
- Using Ubersuggest for keyword research ideas
- Track 25 keyword positions (for 5 sites)
- Audit your website and fix SEO issues
- How to use the buying process for keyword research
- Using Ubersuggest and buying process part 2
- Find link building opportunities with Ubersuggest
- Create competitor comparison reports
- Create SEO report
Check your traffic or a competitor
Very simple; enter a url into the search box, select your country and hit return.
(ps: I recommend using desktop devices not a phone for doing keyword research)
Look at the organic monthly traffic figure.
This is an estimate of the traffic that Google sends to your website.
Is the trend line up or down ?
Now look at organic keywords.
This is the number of keywords the website ranks for in Google’s top 100 search results.
One site ranks for 460 keywords and only gets 15 organic visits
This site ranks for 1305 keywords and gets 479 organic visits.
Backlinks are a major factor in ranking and the domain score is just a reflection of the number and quality of links.
Notice how the domain score was 3 for one and 12 one for another.
The website with a domain score of 3 doesn’t have many links compared to the other one.
So the site owner either needs to improve the quality and quantity of links or rank for more organic keywords.
Analyse top pages
Enter url into search box, select country and hit return.
Click Top Pages
This report will give you a better understanding of the traffic to the top pages.
You will need to sign up or sign in with Google to see all the top page traffic.
Double check the top pages by country.
You will find differences between traffic shown in the overview and the top page report.
You have to bear in mind that Ubersuggest is making best guesses.
This is a free tool after all.
How to use top pages for better SEO ?
Look at a competitors top pages eg: clickdo.co.uk
Read the SEO Title and check the pages get traffic (estimated visits)
Write down a list of topics you don’t cover on your website.
- Check SEO Packages
- Guest Posting Service
- SEO Courses
Now you can repeat this process for other competitors.
When complete you have a list of topics you can potentially write about.
Using Ubersuggest for keyword research ideas
Go to Ubersuggest, enter a seed keyword eg: design, select your country, hit search
You will see a list of list of keywords, select keywords from the left hand menu or view all keyword ideas.
- Select the button next to filters.
- In the “include keywords” box enter the word “how”
- Press the apply button
This will give you a list of keywords that contain “how” in the search queries.
The reason I filtered the seed keyword with “how” is that “how” is a popular term within a search query by people looking to solve a problem.
Scroll through the list of keywords and look for those which are most relevant for your business.
- “How to design a garden” would not be relevant for a web designer
- But “how to write a design brief” would be relevant.
Perhaps their potential customers are looking for this kind of resource.
Click the arrow to the right of the search query.
Then look over to the right hand side of the screen which shows the Google SERP results; ie: the top 100 search engine results pages for this query.
You will see 5 columns :
- The url
- The estimated visits to that page for the keyword (not the total traffic to the page)
- The number of links
- The DS (domain score is a score between 1 and 100 rating the websites links)
- And social shares which you can completely ignore.
What you are looking for is :
- The top 10 search results all earn traffic
- Some of the top results don’t have any links (a sign of low seo difficulty)
- Some of the DS are similar to your DS (my site is DS 41)
Bear in mind the data are estimates; we’re just looking for signs of traffic and low keyword difficulty.
Now you want to find out the total traffic to one of the top results and make sure they rank for lots of other similar keywords.
- Right click the link to the right of one of the top urls
- Select copy address
- Open up a new browser tab
- Enter ubersuggest into the address bar
- Paste the url into the search, select your country and hit return.
- Now select the top pages link from the left hand menu
- Find the url you just pasted into ubersuggest
- Look at the estimated visits to the page
- Then click view all to see all the keywords this page ranks for.
- You might find it ranks for other keywords with a higher search volume.
But the most important factor is the page getting traffic for numerous keywords.
You need to decide if this is subject that you can or wish to write about.
I suggest you create a spreadsheet with a list of potential opportunities.
Then choose the topics you wish to write about.
Track 25 keyword positions (for 5 sites)
When logged into Ubersuggest
- Click the dashboard icon.
- You’ll see that I have 3 projects that I am tracking.
- Under the Tracked Keywords, click See More.
You can track up to 25 keywords per website (max 5 sites)
I guess if you need to track more website, you could use another Gmail account to register with.
Click the bar line under the position of each keyword.
You will see the position history for the past 30 days.
- If you want a custom range, select the date box but manually enter the dates to see a trend over say the past 2 months.
- I’ve been tracking my ranking for “keyword research services” since September.
- You can see how I went from the middle of page 3 to position 4.
- You can export a PDF report of these tracked keywords.
- Just click PDF report.
Uber will basically take a screenshot of what you see on the screen.
So if you open up the graph of position history, it will display this graph in the PDF.
To set up position tracking for a website
- Click Dashboard
- Select New Project
- Enter URL and name the project and press next.
- Choose preferred search location eg: UK, USA
- Press Next
Select your country or the location you want to track keyword rankings.
- Ubersuggest will provide keyword suggestions to track.
- Click the Plus sign of ones you wish to track or type keywords in the search box
- Press Next
Uber will now crawl the website and add the keywords to the site’s dashboard
Click go to Dashboard
You may see message saying the website is not associated with Google Search Console
Or collected data check back.
I’d set a reminder to check back in 30 days to see how keyword positions have moved.
Audit your website and fix SEO issues
You can do a site audit 2 ways.
If you ran the keyword tracking Uber will automatically audit the site.
- Go to the dashboard and select the site in your account.
- Or you can select Site Audit under the SEO Analyzer text.
- Enter the url and press select
- On Page SEO Score
- Monthly Traffic
- Organic Keywords
- It will tell you in the dialogue box how many pages scanned on site
You will see
- Critical Errors
- Scroll down to see all issues
These links all lead to the same location.
You will also see site speed; hopefully the loading time is in the excellent areas.
Let’s see all issues.
Go to the critical errors tab and look at the issues.
Uber explains these issues and tells you what to do.
Then look at the warning tab; do the same.
How to use the buying process for keyword research
Many people approach keyword research the wrong way.
They’ll plug a phrase like “career routes after accountancy degree” or “air conditioning engineer near me”
That’s not research; that’s you looking for what you want to see and believe.
Keyword research starts with a 10,000 foot view.
You start with a seed keyword eg:
- google etc
Then you filter keywords according to the stages of the buying decision process.
Now you can start to use Ubersuggest to find keyword or topic ideas to create pages that can rank and earn traffic.
Using Ubersuggest and buying process part 2
Enter a seed keyword idea into Ubersuggest eg: website and select your country and hit search.
If you are stuck for keyword ideas, find related words at relatedwords.org.
Scroll down to “View All Keyword Ideas” and select
Click the circle to the left of “filters”
In the “Include Keywords” box you want to enter keyword modifiers.
If you’re looking for purchase intent queries, enter:
If you’re looking for queries where people are comparison alternatives, enter
If you’re looking for people who search for a problem, enter
This can be a very slow and tedious process; it’s 100 times faster with Ahrefs.
Write down a list of all the keywords/queries you’ve found into a spreadsheet along with the keyword search volume and search difficulty.
Have a keyword list of around 20 queries then choose which ones to create the right content around.
Enter the url of a huge website in your industry into Ubersuggest.
This could be your professional body, a magazine or a competitor.
I’m in the marketing industry so I could enter Hubspot or a marketing association.
Now click top page and look for the following in their SEO Title
You need to do this manually because Ubersuggest isn’t as user polished as Ahrefs.
You can speed this up by selecting CTRL + F and entering “data” or “statistics” in the search box.
So I found this page on Hubspot about statistics with 4313 backlinks.
Create a spreadsheet and add the URL and Page Titles to each column.
Now find other pages with statistics, reports or data in the page title that have backlinks. suggestions.
Add to your spreadsheet.
The reason for choosing pages about statistics and data with lots of backlinks is because these are signs of link intent.
People have been shown to link to these types of pages in the past.
That’s link intent.
So we need to create a better, more up to date page about this data or these statistics.
Now you know that people link to content about statistics and data now you need to create your original data.
Find data sources, create the data findings into graphics that can easily communicate your key findings and can be shared and link to easily.
Create competitor comparison reports
How do you know who your competitors are ?
You could search Google for your business category
- Eg: accountants glasgow
- Eg: lawyers houston
Most of the time you will see local listings.
Alternatively, if you know the website you’re working with gets a few thousand visits per month, you could pop the URL into www.similarweb.com
They will suggest competitors.
You need about 3 competitors and your client website.
Now you want to combine these images.
For a competitor domain comparison, you want to display 3 competitors with higher traffic estimates above the client side; like so.
Create SEO report
The report is going to be very simple and basic.
Got to Ubersuggest and enter URL and country and search
You have domain overview and estimated traffic
Keyword rankings each month by position buckets and top pages.
Take a screenshot of each area and put into Google Slides or Powerpoint and you have an seo report.
Ubersuggest is definitely one of the better free tools for keyword research but it isn’t close to what a tool like Ahrefs can do.
I’ve compared Ubersuggest and Ahrefs here so you can see for yourself.
Not only will Ahrefs give you more keywords, more insight, have a better user experience but you can also get results and work 10 times faster.