This is my guide on how to build a lead generation website, increase enquiries and convert more leads.
First up, you need a system.
Table of Contents
- Convert website visitors into leads with a lead generation system
- Calculate your cost per lead and sale
- How to generation seo traffic for lead generation
- How to build a lead generation website
- Lead generation website examples
- How to increase website leads and enquiries
- How to leads into customers (nurture)
- How to generate mortgage leads
- Local lead generation
- How to use paid traffic to generate leads
Convert website visitors into leads with a lead generation system
Companies who are good at generating leads follow a process like this:
Here’s a summary of the lead generation process and a diagram to visualise the process.
- Traffic – you will pay for traffic or create engaging, original content to drive organic SEO traffic to your website.
- Landing Pages – there will be a landing page on your website for each of the services you offer.
- Enquiry or phone call – on each landing page there will be a call to action or incentive to telephone you or fill in a lead form.
- Lead Form – the lead form will ask for some basic information such as name, email and phone number.
- Qualified Leads – a sale won’t happen straight away; you will use lead nurturing and education with email automation over time because they become a customer
- Series of conversation – You or your sales team will have a series of email or phone conversations before reaching an agreement.
- Sale – a contract and/or deposit is signed is made to start the work.
Most web agencies or lead generation specialists won’t get involved in the 6th of 7th stage of the process.
In fact very few web agencies get involved in lead generation strategies to nurture potential leads; yet the follow up is where “the money is”.
Calculate your cost per lead and sale
I’ve created a sales lead calculator for business owners to work out their cost per lead, cost per sale and website traffic required.
How to generation seo traffic for lead generation
Before I build any lead generation website I research your potential buyers.
Search engine optimization or traffic from Google’s organic search results will still be a major lead generator your business.
There’s typically 4 stages to the buying process that we can research.
Your content marketing strategy should be to create content that touches people at each of the 4 stages of the buying journey.
The 4 stages of buying process are as follow :
- Problem recognition stage
- Information Search stage
- Evaluation of Alternatives stage
- Purchase Decision stage
You research what questions people are searching for that are relevant about your services and your content answers these questions.
How to build a lead generation website
A lead generation website is significantly different from a brochure website.
A brochure website typically has a home page, about, services and contact page with the aim being to capitalise on their brand or social awareness.
Those building a successful lead generation site have a different mindset than “brand” websites.
Heres the stages involved :
A domain name is just the name of your website address eg: platonik.co.uk
There’s 2 parts to the domain name; the parts before and after the dot.
For example, platonik is my brand name.
Ideally you want a short brand name that people can remember and you don’t need the full company name.
So Wagner Associates Limited is wagnerassociates.co.uk and not wagnerassociateslimited.co.uk.
But the name has to be available before you register it.
I use 123Reg but there are plenty of other domain registrars available.
You enter the name you want to register on their website and they’ll check if the name and the extension (the part after the dot) is available.
I recommend registering and purchasing the country extension of your name eg: UK would be .co.uk.
If you’ve a company that trades globally use .com or if you’re in doubt use a .com address.
I use Flywheel to host the majority of my client websites.
Flywheel specialise in hosting WordPress specialist for web professionals like myself.
There are of course hundreds of other WordPress hosting partners such as Next Level, GoDaddy, SiteGround but Flywheel has a wonderful interface and customer service.
Before a website can be built you’ll need some essential design assets.
You’ll need :
- A Logo – a representation of your company name
- Brand Guidelines – colours, font, a tone of voice
- Page Content Creation – pages written about your services
- Photography – great images for your services and company
- Local Listings – you will need to register your company on local directories eg: Google My Business (if you are a local business)
- Social proof such as industry accreditation logos
The following are the essential elements of a lead generating website.
The home page of a website tells people who you are, what you do and directs users towards your services.
In addition, the home page will include a unique design that resonates with your target audience and includes accreditation that builds user trust in your company.
Websites typically have navigation bars at the top and bottom of every web page.
The top navigation displays links to key pages such as services, resources and a contact page.
With websites having to respond to mobile and tablet devices, navigation on smaller devices are usually reduced to a hamburger menu.
Page content should be ready to read, pages should load fast, links and calls to action must be prominent.
Service list page
Ideally, the website should group and list all the services on one page and then link through to each individual service page.
The service page should be designed to sell your service and prompt people to enquire ie: become a sales lead.
Blog posts are resourceful pages or articles on a website that can attract a lot of traffic to a website and leads if created correctly.
They are typically created as non commercial pages for people earlier in the sales journey or nearer the top of the sales funnel.
This blog post by Amara is a guide to bathroom tile trends.
Notice how the post links through to relevant products.
Notice the subscribe link at top of navigation.
But there’s more powerful and persuasive ways to leverage such blog posts.
My best blog post has a 13% visitor to conversion rate; these subscribers are not ready to become sales leads yet they are ready to be educated.
Call to action
If you start from a user’s mindset and can answer “what’s in it for me” when they are on a web page, then you have a better chance of this user becoming a sales lead.
Your web page offer should motivate the user, be relevant to their needs and your service.
For example, the web page you are reading right now is an educational guide to building a lead generation website.
Think of a call to action like a green or red sign on traffic lights.
They tell users’ want to do.
Green tells the driver to drive and red tells the driver to stop.
A lead generation website requires signs or prompts that tell the user what to do during or at the end of a web page.
Here are some popular call to action examples on lead generation websites.
- Click to Read
- Sign Up For Free Trial
- Get Started
- Download Now
- Send Me Special Now
- Click to get started
- Find out more
- Grab the bonus offer
- Get Instant Access
- Register For Our Webinar
- Download Our Free White Paper
- Free 30 Day Trial
- Download : How to Build and Grow a Lead Generation Website
- Click Here
- Download Free Ebook
You need to create a lead enquiry form to capture the contact details of the prospects.
At a minimum contact forms should have a field to insert their first names, email addresses and a box to ask what help they need.
Ask too much personal information and you reduce your enquiry rate.
Ask too little contact information and you affect your enquiry to sales conversion rate.
Web builder vs website template vs custom website?
The cost of a business website will depend on what you need functionally in order to generate sales leads.
Any successful website that I have developed have required some level of customisation.
In a few cases, websites have been developed from scratch as they required very specific needs.
But for most clients, I’ve customised pre built website templates to match the client’s needs.
I would definitely avoid web builder services such as Wix.
Just because you see a nice looking website doesn’t mean it’s designed and built to maximise sales leads.
There are thousands of professional web design services online and most have their own content management system (CMS) preference or approach to developing a lead generation website.
WordPress is the leading platform that hosts and runs websites.
It offers a high level of custom design for websites; but that flexibility also comes at a cost in terms of maintenance and plugin updates.
Content Management System (CMS) and website editing
If you can use Google Docs or Microsoft Word then you can edit a website using WordPress.
However you still need to know how to produce valuable content that can attract website visitors and sales leads.
I’ve created a short video training course to help non technical clients get to grips with WordPress and website editing.
Lead generation website examples
How to increase website leads and enquiries
There’s a whole host of reasons why your website doesn’t generate enough website enquiries.
Here are some solutions I’ve used to increase my website enquiries.
- Doing keyword research to create pages that earn organic traffic and enquiries.
- Creating “how to” guides from keyword research is a good route to earning more traffic.
- Creating list post guides from keyword research is the easiest content to create and drive traffic.
- More industry links boost some page rankings, thus traffic and enquiries.
- Identifying low converting pages and changing the offer and call to action.
- Adding a sidebar link to other pages helped reduce the website bounce rate and keep users on your website longer.
- Reduce the number of fields on enquiry pages will increase enquiries.
- Make unique offers on each page with a unique call to action.
- Maybe people visiting don’t want to get in touch.
- Make words easier to read on mobile devices with larger font sizes.
- Removing or improving pages with out of date content.
- Retarget website visitors who did not enquiry with Google or Facebook remarketing campaigns.
- New pages and topics created are opportunities to earn more traffic from Google.
- Use website conversion tools such as Google Goals, Hotjar or your own CRM.
How to leads into customers (nurture)
I use a WordPress Content Upgrade plugin on my website to offer subscribers a bonus download in exchange for their email address.
The email address of the sales lead is captured and added to ConvertKit (or the other popular marketing automation tools) and given a tag to identify the page or enquiry form they subscribed from.
With ConvertKit I can schedule a unique workflow to follow up on existing email subscribers.
If the sales lead becomes a customer, I can remove them from a prospect workflow and put them into a customer workflow and schedule completely different communication.
How to generate mortgage leads
I’ve run some mortgage lead generation campaigns and found Facebook was a very successful channel.
It’s crucial that you get hyper focused and target people by occupation or situation.
For example we targeted Oracle developers in the UK, wrote the headline and copy mentioning contractor mortgages for Oracle developers with a matching landing page at a cost around £15 per lead.
Local lead generation
There’s basically one internet search engine with a monopoly and that’s Google.
The search results are the pages that appear below and to the side of adverts in Google.
The majority of clicks to websites come from organic search results.
If you’re a local business looking to generate leads I’d recommend 3 strategies.
Local Paid Ads
Log into your Google My Business Account and Select Create An Ad
Set a budget
Write your advert
Choose where your customers are
Review your campaign
Enter billing details and start the campaign.
Log into your Google My Business account and select posts.
- Add update
- Add offer
- Add event
- Add product.
If you choose the add an update option you might want to make people aware of an article on your website.
If you choose the add an offer or add an event option you direct people to your offer or event page.
Simply complete the fields on each post, preview and publish.
How to use paid traffic to generate leads
Paid traffic is the fastest way to generate traffic but that does not guarantee your sales leads.
Paid traffic be a short term solution to help reach your lead acquisition targets.
Whilst it may be the fastest way to generate traffic, it is almost the quickest way to burn a hole in your credit or debit card.
The majority of advertising campaigns are created by people who have little to no clue about what searchers actually want.
These advertisers push their service related adverts onto searchers instead of aligning advertising messages, landing pages and copy with what a searcher wants.
And the same goes with adverts on Facebook.
Set up a small Google Ad campaign
If you want instant traffic to your website then you will need to pay for clicks.
Google Ads are the quickest way to drive traffic to your website.
First you’ll need a Google account, set up billing, set up conversion tracking, connect Adwords with Google Analytics.
You can watch this video which better explains that the written word.
Drive Traffic with Google Ads
You should have an idea, in advance, of the service you’re going to promote.
For example, “free quote” on air conditioning installations.
Decide the web page people will land on before creating the ad campaign.
Ideally you should create a specific landing page with copy and an enquiry form on the page to capture leads.
However, I have found that ConvertKit has an excellent landing page builder; an ideal solution for both paid and organic traffic campaigns.
Steps to running a Google Ad campaign
- Click Create New Campaign
- Then Create New Campaign
- Either choose leads or website traffic
- Then choose Search and continue
- Name your campaign
- Uncheck display network
- Choose your location; that can country, city or location
- Choose language if applicable
- Omit Audiences because you don’t have one; only use the audience option for retargeting when you’ve got sizeable website traffic
- Set a budget for £30 a day; that’s around £900 a month
- Under bidding option, focus on getting clicks in your first campaign
- Allow Google control the bid strategy to get your start
- Next select add ad extensions such to add a call extension
- Save and continue to the next step
- Next create an ad group
- Nam it
- Enter keywords to target and trigger your adverts
- Use modified broad match keywords
- Enter the keywords into box
- Choose keyword ideas by entering your seed keyword in the “enter your products and service” box
- Select save and continue
- Now write out your advert by filling in each box
- Final URL – this is the landing page people arrive on after clicking your advert
- Headline 1
- Headline 2
- Headline 4
- Display Path
- Description 1
- Description 1
- Now preview the advert with the 1 of 2 previews arrows
- Now save and add another advert (if you wish)
- Wait for your advert to be approved by Google
- Click Continue to Campaign
Your advert should begin to appear in a couple of days,
This process should give you a fast track strategy to driving traffic from Google Ads.
Leads from Facebook Advertising Case Study
Another way to reach your audience and generate leads is with Facebook Advertising.
A client offers a home insulation service.
I ran a Facebook advertising campaign to reach homeowners.
- 287 leads were generated
- At a cost £13.74 per lead
- Spent of £3944
- Reach 424,846 people
- Duration of 40 days
There’s a lot of moving parts to building a lead generation website, increasing enquiries and converting more leads into customers.
If you’re serious you’ll be working at your business every day using paid and organic channels to drive traffic and tools to nurture leads into customers.